Sunday, September 20, 2009

So, here I am writing my first blog and in pain with every step. Why? Mmmm, well a little matter of the High Peak Forty Mile Challenge. I took part in my first organised ultra distance event yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly. Well, apart from the apprehension before the event, the tweaks of cramp during the event, and the agony and disapointment of knee injury that forced me to retire less than 8 miles from the finish line :0( Ah well maybe next time!

Now I'm just an average Joe and never particularly shone at any single sport, so why am I putting myself through this pain? Well, after a glorious pitch by a close friend of mine, I've gone and got myself a place in the 25th Marathon Des Sables, also known as 'the toughest footrace on Earth'. So now I'm paying for it!

Training has begun in ernest, kit is being prep'd and the date on the calander keeps getting closer....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I’ve never been one to turn down the chance for adventure, the biggest and most rewarding one so far was starting a family with my (very understanding) wife! We have three kids, George, Gracie and Evie. All of whom put me to shame with their energy and enthusiasm! I've always preferred the chill of the mountains, either climbing up them or snowboarding down them, until I took up running, after a serious on-duty injury, to disprove the ‘shouldn’t, wouldn’t, couldn’t’ attitudes I found many people have. Discovering the fun in exploring places and getting to know them by traveling through them on foot has got me into some interesting events in the past; multi-day mountain marathons and ultras, long distance paths and national trail traverses, 84 miles of Hadrian’s Wall, Welsh 3000 and completing the MDS in 2010. Next up Beacons Ultra and a return to the MDS.

Followers